Husys Team supporting TIE-ISB Connect 2010 @ Hyderabad
In continuation with the earlier posting on the Organisational Design, this posting focus on further building the synergy for organisational excellence. The key point here discussed would be on how to design Role and Responsibilities based on the Organisational Design.
Current Realities: In many cases when we start looking at the Organisational Design from the point of view of Role and the current duties performed by the people in the system moves 2 levels below. In my recent Three of the assignments the Top Level Management were actually performing the Middle Management Role & Duties. This is evident from the fact of our style of management is :
- If the person reporting to you doesn't perform we perform
- If we perform once, everytime your subordinate learn to get work done from you...
- Over a period that job becomes your accountability
- One more important reason is that we do not spend time in making sure the person performs better where he can do..
- Or alternatively we design responsibilities based on the capabilities of the individual at that point and give any role that he/she is comfortable.
What is a way forward?
Designing the Role & Responsibilities and assign the same to each position in the organisation ( Not to people who are available). The effectiveness of Role & Responsibilities lies in building person independent documentation and expectations.
Step-I : Create an Organisational Structure and Hierarchy Levels in the Organisation based on the Design.
Step-II: List all the Functions and the typical roles important for effective functioning based on the Organisational Stage.
Step-III: List the Role impact on the organisation and the value expected. Also summarize how the same can be derived based on the level.
Step-IV: Summarise the key tasks/functions important at that level/Function... Include the relevant Functional / Personal skills important for that role and to deliver the effective responsibilities.
Step-V: Summarise in a format which helps to Identify the position / role / department-function / reporting levels / Job Expectation / Training Required or/and acquired / Key Skills and any other important details which makes the position effective when assigned.
How does R&R Documentation Helps:
- Foundation for Your organisation
- Helps in Planning & Hiring
- Helps in Inducting the Resources
- Helps in Setting performance expectations
- Helps in Improving the resources based on the expectations Vs. Reality
- Helps in Integrating to Business Output & contribution
- Training and many more...
Please do ask/write to learn more from this posting... Looking forward for your participation in making SME's Strong in India...